Is it me or did Google make some unknown updates to the Chromecast infrastructure?
Recently I have noticed a smooth playback when I cast videos from the Chrome browser that are not from YouTube or Netflix. In addition, casting videos from the Plex web interface also has a smooth playback. When I just got the Chromecast, casting non-YouTube and non-Netflix content was less than ideal.
It was also great to learn that Chromecast supports Plex. I am looking forward to additional support for other applications.
I was wrestling with the decision of whether to purchase an apple TV or a Roku box; however when I learnt about Google’s Chromecast, I was able to make a decision. I have since bought a Chromecast and although it is optimized for Netflix and Youtube, I see a lot of potential.
Included with my Chromecast purchase were:
- An USB connector to power Chromecast. You have the option to power your Chrome cast on the USB port of your TV or plug it into your electrical outlet.
- A HDMI extender, is to improve wireless connectivity. I must agree that this does work.
To set up Chromecast I went to a url provided on the Chromecast package. A PC (with at least windows 7) that was wirelessly connected to my your network was required . During the set up, my PC was temporarily disconnected from my network to connect to Chromecast. I received a DHCP error when my PC tried to connect to Chromecast; however Windows network troubleshooter was able to resolve the problem. Once my DHCP error was resolved I was able to complete the set up.
What works very well:
What does not work well
- You can’t play local file. There is a workaround as Chrome can play video files on your PC;however you can only play mp4 files.
- Cast non-youtube/non-netflix video from Chrome sometimes lags.
What I am looking forward to
- Chromecast for Plex. There have been some articles (e.g gigaom article) that we will soon be able to cast plex content. If this is true the issue with playing local content via Chromecast will be solved.
I must say that despite a few shortcomings I am thoroughly enjoying my Chromecast.
I finally decided to try the Razorpit razor blade sharpener after reading blogs and comments from other buyers. I was unsure that the product will actually work;however I bit the bullet and purchased it.
It works! Procedure to sharpen the razor blade is simple and very effective.If you want to save some money on razor blades, I recommend that you purchase the Razorpit.